Spick and Span - Getting ready for Christmas



There has been a looooooonnnngggg gap between my last post and this...  but work on Daviot House has been particularly productive, so I hope you forgive me for my absence and enjoy the fruits of my labour!

As you know, this year's major work has been the kitchen.  I am pleased to say that it has nearly finished - I only have a few gaps more to fill.  Collecting and making for a kitchen is particularly satisfying, especially when I can indulge my passion for things on the small scale as well as the RL scale!

Copper pots being first on the list....

The ones on the Aga come from Country Treasures, though I bought them from Small Wonders.  Unfortunately, as soon as they were on the website they vanished!  Luckily, I managed to get a stock pot, two sauce pans and a jelly mould.



The pans on the board are from J Getzan, and they are absolutely delightful.  I will be going back for more when the exchequer recovers from Christmas!


This is, perhaps, my favourite pan.  It is slightly out of scale, though not too noticeable, and it is French.  The pan has been made using a 10 centime coin from about 1872, with the distinctive head of the goddess Cérès.  I think Cérès, the Roman goddess of agriculture and the harvest, is an appropriate choice for a busy kitchen!



The coin was hammered into a pan shape and a little handle was soldered on.  Little items made out of coins are fairly rare things in France, and are highly collectable, as they were often made by prisoners, soldiers or sailors, to sell as a source of income.  

I really enjoy including little antique pieces in Daviot House, and I am very lucky living in France as there are so many brocantes, vide greniers and antique markets!


I made a little bar to hang over the stove for cloths and utensils, and used small pieces of vintage handkerchives as dish cloths.  The flash of colour really lifts the back wall.


Before.


After

I am still thinking about painting the handles on the Aga, and I need to find just the right kettle - something I am finding a bit difficult!




Here is the left hand side for the kitchen, all lit up and cosy.  There are a few more things in the larder, but we still have a long way to go, filling it up!


And here is the right hand side.  The 'new' fridge needs to be finished and also filled.  Which is great, because I really enjoy finding things for the kitchen!



Christmas is just around the corner, and the members of Daviot House are slowly starting their preparations...  just like me, first comes the big job of silver polishing!



Jonquil


Comments

  1. Wow, it looks amazing! What a difference all the accessories have made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen is amazing with all the accessories. Your pan with the coin is very precious.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jonquil! Yes it has been a while! Your kitchen looks wonderful, a real cook's kitchen. You found so many lovely pieces for it. It is difficult to find good miniature copper pots but you have amassed quite a batterie de cuisine already! Love the pan made with the coin, that makes it extra special.
    It is even more difficult to find a nice kettle, but http://www.georgechapmanminiatures.co.uk has a couple, you may want to check it out. I have one, and beautifully made, but it is quite big.
    I loooooove your last photos, polishing the silver. With the added detail of the paper, the polish and the cloths...So recognizable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jonquil!! It is Wonderful to see another post on the Kitchen in Daviot House! You have made great progress, and the kitchen is looking like the kind of room we would love to live in in RL! LOL! Yes, even with all that Silver to polish! :) I look forward to seeing your fridge completed and filled... as well as all the tiny pieces you are collecting! I also love to use old pieces, even if they are a little out of scale... it reminds me of childhood and the "make believe" world that this is for so many of us! I hope you and your Family enjoy a wonderful Holiday Season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This visit has be WORTH the WAIT, Jonquil! I LOVE your kitchen and the way you have fitted it out is Perfectly in keeping with the rest of Daviot House!
    I Adore the Silver Cleaning scene and the assorted pieces of it displaed on the kitchen table- so true to life.
    Also have to tell you how much I enjoy seeing your copper collection. Just as Silver denotes prosperity, the copper denotes warmth and goes far in making your kitchen feel Even More welcoming.
    Also like the Over Scaled coin pot which I believe makes it even that much more interesting, because not everything in Real Life is perfectly to scale either. Which brings me to the Huge clock on your mantle- it is PERFECT for this kitchen!!! :D
    I am soooo Impressed by this finished room and that goes for every aspect of it. To think that just over a year ago ( if I remember correctly), you didn't even have a kitchen until your son wondered aloud why there wasn't one and NOW you have not only a kitchen but a FANTASTIC one too! :))
    YES Indeed,-
    Well Worth the Wait! ♥

    Have a VERY Merry Christmas Jonquil and a Very Happy New Year too!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. The kitchen is lovely and I adore the silver on the table. The picture inspires me, maybe I'll start next year finishing a kitchen. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't mind the wait when you come at us with something as lovely as this! It's a beautifully homey looking kitchen and I've never seen anything like the pot with the coin, a real little treasurer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a real miracle! Your kitchen is one of the most charming small kitchens that I saw. Dishes great find.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts